As organizations shifted from traditional PC desktops to virtualized solutions, IT administrators hosted and provided access of applications and desktops from an on-premises data center. This proved to be more efficient than traditional PC environments because IT admins were able to centrally manage desktop and app delivery, however, there were still aspects that needed to be streamlined and made more efficient.
Now, with the increased availability of public clouds, businesses can harness the power of cloud services to simplify the management of their existing deployments. They can also unlock additional benefits, ease administrative burdens, and enhance end-user experiences, and create a more agile, secure IT environment.
In this paper we will assess the benefits of transitioning to Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops cloud services over a traditional, fully onpremises deployment. We will also examine how it can fit within an organization’s overall corporate strategy, help prepare for today’s business demands, and those in the future.
This paper provides guidance to administrators and IT leadership to help them better explore the transformative journey to cloud. We will elaborate on the basic economic considerations as well as the intrinsic value of Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops service and its industry-differentiated management platform. In this paper, we will discuss how Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops service help IT:
- Accelerate time-to-value with faster onboarding, deployment, and production services
- Simplify business continuity and disaster recovery planning, avoiding outages that can cost up to $100,000 per hour, through the flexibility of scalable cloud services and infrastructure
- Reduce infrastructure and management costs typically associated with on-premises deployments by transitioning those components—physical servers, operating systems, databases, and software components—into Citrix-hosted cloud services
- Leverage efficiencies with Citrix automation and cloud tools to control cloud IaaS (Infrastructureas-a-Service) costs based up to 80% on user and business demands
- Adopt public cloud IaaS at your desired pace by seamlessly integrating cloud resources alongside your existing on-premises data center resources
- Eliminate the need to plan and execute cumbersome upgrades/patching activities associated with maintaining on-premises Citrix deployments given Citrix cloud services are always up-to-date, helping reduce costs associated with upgrading and patching by up to 30%
- Leverage your existing knowledge of Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops technology to simplify your cloud transition
- Architect your cloud transition to maximize IT control and minimize exposure to external threats, creating agile deployments that can respond to unforeseen events
After reading this, you will have a better understanding of how to assess the economic and net-new benefits of investing in new Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops service and transitioning existing Citrix on-premises software to the cloud.
Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops service—an overview
Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops, the on-premises solution existing administrators are familiar with, provides virtualization solutions that give IT control of virtual machines, applications, desktops, and security while providing access from any device. End-users can use applications and desktops independently of the device’s operating system and interface.
With Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops service, organizations can securely deliver virtual apps and desktops to any device similar to the on-premises solution, and leave most of the product installation, setup, upgrades, and component architecting to Citrix.
As the IT admin, you maintain complete control over applications, policies, and users while delivering the best user experience on any device. Simply connect resources to the service through Citrix Cloud Connector, which serves as a channel for communication between Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops service and the organization’s resource locations. Cloud Connectors enable cloud management without requiring any complex networking or infrastructure configuration such as VPNs or IPsec tunnels. Each resource location hosts a Cloud Connector alongside the machines and other resources that deliver your applications and desktops to your users.
Download this asset to learn more about how Citrix and Microsoft enable:
- Faster time to value
- Deployment flexibility
- Simplified management, security, and business continuity