As IT leaders continue to support a distributed workforce, many of them combine solutions hosted on-premises and in the cloud as they adopt a hybrid IT model. While using hybrid IT offers greater flexibility and reduced overhead costs, it can also create security challenges.
Hybrid IT Security Maturity across Organizations
The average maturity level of organizations leveraging a hybrid IT model is 2.45 out of 4—leaving significant room for improvement.
3 Key Takeaways
- The majority of IT leaders are adopting both on- and off-premises infrastructure—but haven’t secured both cohesively.
- IT leaders must future-proof their security strategies for hybrid IT. Especially for remote access.
- IT teams must improve measurement of technical debt to boost hybrid IT security.
The majority of IT leaders are adopting both on- and off-premises infrastructure—but haven’t secured both cohesively.
The vast majority of companies (89%) are using a hybrid infrastructure model.
Today, infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) providers like AWS and Microsoft Azure (76%) have overtaken on-premises infrastructure (65%) as the most common method used to deploy IT systems. However, the vast majority of companies (89%) are using a hybrid infrastructure model.
IT leaders must future-proof their security strategies for hybrid IT, especially for remote access.
As IT and security leaders continue to enable remote work, users will access resources from a variety of locations. However, the strategies these companies have in place to secure remote access rate a maturity score of only 2.22 out of 4.
What’s your strategy for securing remote user access to your IT resources?
Future-proofing is the most common challenge barring executives from improving their hybrid IT security. Across the board, respondents scored an average of 2.66 out of 4 for their security challenges.
New research reveals that 89% of companies use a hybrid infrastructure model. But most companies have a long way to go to boost the maturity of their hybrid IT security.
See what companies are getting right and what they’re getting wrong in Okta’s new report based on a survey of IT leaders.
Get the report to see:
- What aspect of hybrid IT security companies struggle with the most
- The top strategies for securing on-prem systems
- How companies secure remote user access to IT resources