To better understand the benefits, costs, and risks associated with this investment, Forrester interviewed four customers with several years of experience using Pure Storage FlashArray storage solutions. In addition, to further assess the business value of Pure Storage FlashArray storage solutions, Forrester conducted a global survey of 36 Pure Storage customers.
Prior to upgrading to a Pure Storage FlashArray storage solution, the interviewed customers relied on spinning disk storage solutions from competing vendors. These solutions performed poorly and required extensive maintenance and upkeep, putting a strain on infrastructure and IT teams:
- Storage refreshes and adding capacity to existing arrays required a significant commitment from permanent staff and oftentimes the support of an outside systems integrator.
- Customers reported frequent downtime, both planned and unplanned. In the case of the former, systems engineers scheduled upgrades and patches on nights and weekends to avoid disruption to the business. In the case of the latter, they frequently worked unanticipated overtime to get storage back online and performant.
- Performance issues slowed down even routine workflows, including server migrations and the execution of disaster recovery routines.
With the investment in Pure Storage, customers reclaimed time and resources previously dedicated to managing their storage infrastructure:
- Customers described setup and configuration as quick and easy. None of the interviewed customers relied on third-party contractors during the setup process, despite having done so during their prior storage refresh.
- Multiple customers reported that unplanned downtime went to zero — despite previously reaching upwards of 68 hours at one organization — after the upgrade to a FlashArray storage solution. They also indicated that planned downtime is almost nonexistent, owing to seamless updates, which are managed in large part by Pure Storage.
- Customers reported that performance improvements enabled them to execute routine workflows quickly, and that the increased speed and performance of the storage solution enhanced their ability to deliver services to their organizations.
TEI Framework And Methodology
The TEI methodology helps companies demonstrate, justify, and realize the tangible value of IT initiatives to both senior management and other key business stakeholders.
From the information provided in the interviews and survey, Forrester has constructed a Total Economic Impact™ (TEI) framework for those organizations considering implementing a Pure Storage FlashArray storage solution.
The objective of the framework is to identify the cost, benefit, flexibility, and risk factors that affect the investment decision. Forrester took a multistep approach to evaluate the impact that a Pure Storage FlashArray storage solution can have on an organization:
- DUE DILIGENCE Interviewed Pure Storage stakeholders and Forrester analysts to gather data relative to Pure Storage FlashArray storage solutions.
- CUSTOMER INTERVIEWS AND SURVEY Interviewed four organizations and surveyed 36 organizations using Pure Storage FlashArray storage solutions to obtain data with respect to costs, benefits, and risks.
- COMPOSITE ORGANIZATION Designed a composite organization based on characteristics of the interviewed and surveyed organizations.
- FINANCIAL MODEL FRAMEWORK Constructed a financial model representative of the interviews and survey responses using the TEI methodology and risk-adjusted the financial model based on issues and concerns of the interviewed organizations.
- CASE STUDY Employed four fundamental elements of TEI in modeling the financial impact of a Pure Storage FlashArray storage solution: benefits, costs, flexibility, and risks. Given the increasing sophistication that enterprises have regarding ROI analyses related to IT investments, Forrester’s TEI methodology serves to provide a complete picture of the total economic impact of purchase decisions. Please see Appendix A for additional information on the TEI methodology.
Reduced Effort To Manage And Maintain The Storage Environment
Customers told Forrester that their Pure Storage FlashArray storage solutions require significantly less time to manage than preexisting storage solutions, allowing them to dedicate full-time resources to other activities. The following tasks are among those for which customers reported time savings.
Prior to upgrading to a FlashArray storage solution, the interviewed organizations dedicated a significant amount of time to keeping their storage hardware up to date. To prevent disruption to business services, they scheduled downtime on nights and weekends, during which systems engineers worked overtime to install patches and upgrades. They also experienced several hardware failures each year, which prompted an immediate need to install patches and updates.
Customers reported being able to execute disaster recovery routines more quickly with Pure Storage FlashArray storage solutions than preexisting storage solutions.
Data Backup And Recovery
Customers reported being able to back up and restore files and servers more quickly, owing to the performance improvements that their FlashArray storage solutions provide.
Whereas it previously took hours for some customers to back up and/or restore files and servers, they reported being able to complete these tasks in minutes, owing to the performance improvements they realized with their storage environment upgrades. According to the assistant director of IT and infrastructure at the university, file servers that previously took up to a half day to restore from backup can now be restored in as little as 8 minutes. (Forrester assumes that FTEs will not be actively engaged in backup and recovery processes 100% of the time, but that these tasks do consume FTE hours, since administrators need to start, stop, and monitor processes.)
Scheduling And Coordinating Downtime
Customers no longer dedicate significant amounts of time to coordinating and scheduling downtime for storage upgrades, owing to the non disruptive manner in which Pure Storage delivers patches and upgrades.
Reduced Effort In Storage Deployment Workflows
Customers reported being able to complete a refresh of their storage environment more quickly and at a lower cost than in prior refresh cycles, owing to the simplicity of the initial setup for Pure Storage FlashArray storage solutions. Moving forward, they will also avoid time consuming data migrations, since FlashArray storage solutions can be upgraded in a non disruptive manner.
With the investment in Pure Storage, customers reclaimed time and resources previously dedicated to managing their storage infrastructure.
Download the customer-focused TEI study to gain insights into how FlashArray:
- Results in quantified and unquantified benefits
- Delivers increased ROI, benefits PV, NPV, and quick returns
- Provides simple configuration, no downtime, and easy storage management solutions