As global workloads accelerate (160 million today to 596 million by 2030), the need for greater agility and global deployment options have driven public cloud to be increasingly more attractive to customers. Customers view public clouds as a way to gain the flexibility and speed to respond to changing business needs, accelerate innovation and align costs to business requirements by managing upfront expenses, operational support and TCO.
But before reaping the benefits of public cloud, businesses need to successfully move there. This is easier said than done. The first step is often the hardest, which is making the decision to move to the cloud at all. Once the decision is made, complexity abounds as companies struggle to adapt and migrate applications to run in a cloud environment. If you’re considering migrating your applications, understand the challenges, and choose the right solution to fit your business’ needs.
The Solution: VMware Cloud on AWS Helping customers seamlessly migrate and extend their VMware vSphere-based environments to VMware Cloud on AWS – without incurring unnecessary risks, costs or downtime – is our priority.
CHALLENGE 1:Adapting people and processes
- People and processes must change and adapt to develop new skill sets and tools for public cloud environments.
- Acquiring cloud skills disrupts current operational effectiveness due to the increased burden of hiring, training and retraining the appropriate talent.
- Resistance from existing employees threatened by the change can limit the effectiveness of cloud adoption.
VMware Cloud on AWS
VMware Cloud on AWS offers the same VMware environment as you are using on-premises, enabling you to leverage familiar and proven VMware skills, tools and processes. Your organization is not required to invest in new skills or additional people to immediately take advantage of public cloud capabilities.
CHALLENGE 2: Re-architecting applications to run in public clouds
- Existing applications running in on-premises data centers are not designed to run on public cloud infrastructure and require redesign before migrating.
- Most applications must be rearchitected, machine formats must be converted, and everything must be thoroughly revalidated.
- Networks must be integrated and reconfigured, and storage must be migrated and conform to capabilities available in public cloud.
VMware Cloud on AWS extends your on-premises infrastructure to the cloud, and therefore no redesign is required to migrate applications. VMware Hybrid Cloud Extension is available with VMware Cloud on AWS at no additional cost, so that you can quickly and easily migrate one or thousands of applications.
CHALLENGE 3: Resiliency of mission-critical applications
- Mission critical applications must meet the same or better performance and availability requirements after migration as before.
- Applications that have relied on infrastructure to provide desired level of resiliency need to be reimplemented to provide built-in resiliency.
- All mission critical workloads need to be thoroughly retested in the public cloud environment to ensure that desired availability targets are met.
VMware Cloud on AWS enables live application migration to the cloud with no downtime or disruption. VMware Cloud on AWS provides virtual machine, host, and AWS Availability Zone failure protection at infrastructure level without having to redesigning applications for the cloud.
Traditional migration practices involve a significant number of person hours, an assortment of tools and substantial risk, not to mention the actual time required to move from point A to point B. Data gravity further complicates cloud adoption and migration of production workloads – especially stateful apps with lots of data.
VMware Cloud on AWS offers the best of both worlds, allowing organizations to seamlessly integrate their on-premises data center environments on elastic, bare-metal AWS infrastructure.